What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is medically termed as diabetes mellitus. However, people often wonder what is diabetes and what is diabetes mellitus? Are the two any different from one another? The answer to this is of course the same no matter how many times and how many ways you ask the question. Diabetes and Diabetes Mellitus is absolutely the same thing. In this article we talk about this disease; what it is, its symptoms, causes and possible treatment.
About Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes is a condition in which the blood glucose level of the body is not a normal level. The blood glucose is usually very highly and this is because of two possible reasons.
- The body is not producing enough insulin to tackle the excess production of blood sugar.
- The body cells are not reacting properly enough to the insulin that is being produced inside the body.
Types of Diabetes
Little do people know but Diabetes itself is no disease. There are further sub-types of diabetes. The two most common ones are; type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes – This type is the less common type. Reportedly only 10 percent of the total populations of patients who suffer from this disease have this type.
Type 2 Diabetes – Many people often wonder what is Diabetes type 2 as it is the more common type that appears and hence, it is much important to have adequate knowledge about it. Type 2 is when the body cells do not respond in the right manner to the insulin that is being produced in the body.
Symptoms of Diabetes
There are many symptoms of this health scare. A few common ones are the following.
- Too much urge of urination
- Hunger pangs
- Loss of appetite completely
- Dramatic weight loss or gain
- Legs pain
- Extreme thirst and dehydration
- Excessive sweating
Treatment of Diabetes
Unfortunately it is widely known that diabetes mellitus treatment is not possible. In fact, the disease has no complete cure. Therefore, its treatment only aims to control and lessen the intensity of its symptoms. The main purpose is to help people live a normal life as much as it is possible to.
Fact worth knowing!
There are several facts about diabetes that one should definitely know about.
- Reportedly more than 320 hundred million people suffer from diabetes of any type i.e. type 1 or 2
- Diabetes is not curable. It can be controlled but it is a life-long disease. Hence, once it appears it is unlikely to vanish
- There are many people who wonder what is diabetes type 1 but very few people are aware that the most common cause behind diabetes type 1 is insufficient production of insulin
This article has some diabetes information that is worth knowing for everyone. For people who are diabetic patients, this information can be helpful to control and treat their disease whilst for people who are not suffering from it can use this info as a precautionary or preventive measure.